When Did That Happen?
One of my Dad’s favorite expressions was “You must have been hiding behind the barn when the brains got handed out.”
I never really understood why someone would hide in order to avoid brains. But I got the point. I always seemed to miss something important.
I knew by the age of fifteen that I must have been hiding behind the barn when the boobies got handed out.
And there have been lots of cultural changes that seemed to have happened while I was behind the barn.
As I mentioned recently – I missed that moment in time when spaghetti became pasta.
– When did potatoes become starch? When did meat become protein?
– And when did pocketbooks become handbags?
– When did quilts become duvets? (And how do you keep the inside part of the duvet from bunching up at the end of the outer duvet?)
– When exactly did station wagons become SUVs? Or minivans? What makes a minivan mini anyway? They look pretty big to me.
– When did rouge become blush? When did moisturizer become BB cream? When did BB cream become CC cream? When is DD coming out?
– When did water become something you buy?
– When did beer transition from Schlitz to Boutique?
– And when did self-centered demanding bitches become divas? And why is it okay for little girls to want to become one?
And – at the risk of getting too serious (which I almost never am):
– When did warfare become conventional?
– When did compromise become a dirty word?
– When did we forget about poor people?