When I went on my big shopping excursion last week (which I have decided to call The Week of the Purple Cords), I was surprised that my favorite store didn’t have what I was looking for.
I will call this store Merlins, because I am not a paid endorser. (Although I could be… So if you own the store where I spend 93% of my discretionary income, please give me a call.) The other 7% is spent on chocolate.
I went into Merlins looking for corduroy jeans. I like boot-cut jeans. I think they balance my hips nicely and make my legs look long. And I like them a little long, so I can wear a high-heeled boot, and make my legs a couple of inches longer still.
But Merlins had only slim leg jeans. No boot-cut. I was very surprised.
I am overly proud of my fashion sense. I am rather obnoxious in the way I think I have better taste than anyone.
And my devotion to Merlins is part of my vanity. This store had undergone an image change over the past several years, and had moved (in my perfect opinion) from dowdy to stylish. And about six months ago I found myself eavesdropping on a conversation between two men with controlling interests in the retail business. They were discussing the possible sale of Merlins. “You can buy it now for a bargain,” said one wheeler-dealer. “They’ve tried to update their image, but their customers are old ladies, and so they have alienated their base.” I laughed to myself, because I am one old lady who loves Merlins now that they have stylish clothes.
So no boot-cut? I was disappointed, and I went to my second favorite store, Caspers (…and, yes, your name could be here for a few bucks…) and bought my three new pairs of boot-cut cords. Including purple.
This is me in my purple cords:
Just a stylin’ genius.
I went to New York City this week. I used to go into the city all the time, but now I’m lucky if I get there once a year. The best part of New York is fashion watching. I love to see what everyone is wearing.
And I was shocked.
No one was wearing boot-cut cords except me. (Brown ones, not purple..I’m not nuts enough to wear purple pants to the style capital of the hemisphere.)
Everyone was wearing straight leg jeans tucked into boots! And flat boots too, when I had just bought high-heeled boots! Uncomfortable high-heeled boots.
My husband always says that we live in East Bumf**k. I thought I was fashionista. But I’m a bumpkin from Bumf**k.
Now I know why Merlins only had straight leg cords. Because they are in style!
Now I have to go shopping again.